Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Our Attempt at Halloween

Like most first time mom's, I was looking forward to Halloween. Especially since this year, we had alot of fun Halloween events to go to and because I was so excited about her costume! I am not sure when my friend Amy and I brainstormed her Halloween costume, but it would be safe to say, it was probably in the wake of her birthday party, because I needed something new to plan! I told her how I wanted Bekah to be an animal, because I could see her really getting into it and learning from it, but how much I wanted her to wear a tutu as well! After hearing about the animal request, Amy threw out the idea of how Bekah would make a cute mouse, AND THEN, when she heard about my tutu desire, who else did Amy suggest that she be than, Angelina Ballarina! Oh I was excited! (Thanks again Amy for all your help!) I made her ears and  her tail, found a leotard on sale, happened to receive some ballet flats ( thanks grandmommy!), found some tights in her closet, added some more pink tulle to her pink tutu from when she was a baby, grabbed her a bow and, whala! Bekah was a mousling! The weeks that led up to Halloween consisted of me talking about mice, the sounds that they make, making the costume, letting her wear her ears and tail, even reading her Angelina Ballerina books, to get her excited. We talked about how Bekah was wearing a tutu and so were the ballerina's on her wall . . . you get the picture!
Well!
The weekend before Halloween, we were out of town, that took care of one Halloween party,
the next week, who gets sick, but Angelina Ballarina! Minus out another Halloween Party . . .
Just as Bekah is getting better, mommy gets sick, takes care of another opportunity to wear that outfit at our Halloween party for our playgroup, and three strikes we are out, no Halloween festivities for us! She didn't exactly get to wear that costume out and about as much as I had hoped, but at least there was the actual day, right?
Well the weekend OF Halloween, Bekah and I are both better, but we have a wedding to go attend, so we forgo some more Halloween festivals, but that didn't stop my little dresser upper, she just made sure she was dressed to the nines for that wedding, mommy's heels, sequined purse, and all!

Here she is, kindly reminding others to keep their voices down during the ceremony : ).
( don't worry, Halloween pics are soon to come , just capturing the whole weekend : ) )
Too bad she didn't take some of her own advice, Gramommy had to kindly escort her away from the crowd! See, what happened was, she saw her ( 2nd) cousin Emma, who was the flower girl and so, right as Emma was walking down the isle, she started calling out her name! It was super cute, but totally not okay, and typically, that is when you "take your baby outside" only thing is, we already were outside! Gramommy had to do some good distracting with nature : ).
Congrats to Zack's cousin Casey and his new wife Katie! It was a beautiful wedding, and the weather couldn't have been better!
Being a week before Rani and Jeff's wedding, we had a good "trial run" to figure out what Bekah might need during the ceremony, it was then that the idea of a lollipop came to me!
( and just a little side note, it totally worked at Jeff's wedding, it got her through at least half of it!)

For being sick only a few days before, she sure did have fun running around and exploring the place. It was also so good to see the relatives on Zack's side. They all commented on how "Burkhart" Bekah looked and how "Sweedish" she was! I loved hearing about her roots and it reminded me of how much I wish we saw our extended family more, there is so much history there and everyone is always talking about who acts like who and who looks like who : ). I love hearing that kind of thing : ).

And speaking of who, looking like who, here is Emma! The minute Bekah was born, I thought she looked like Zack's cousin Emma and there have been many moments since where she has reminded me of her. Well, Bekah, as I said earlier, just LOVED her! She followed her around everywhere! See her staring up at Emma? Bekah had only seen pictures of Emma up until today.
Here she is trying to talk to Emma. She has that look on her face that you get when you are starstruck, don't you think?
And then, here she is being shy, after I ask her to hug Emma : ). Of course, for the camera, she was coy about it, but then, only a few seconds later, I see her running after Emma, wanting a hug! Poor Emma didn't know what to think about this "obsessive fan!" It was almost like Bekah knew she looked like her or something? Maybe it was also due to the total lack of social interaction the week before??? Maybe she was just dying for a friend? I don't know, but she sure was funny about her!
Pretty pics of Bekah and her daddy:
Gosh I love these two!
We had to drive back to Houston ( the wedding was in Austin) that Saturday night, so I was not sure what to expect from my exhausted traveler the next day, but she was certainly ready for Halloween! She couldn't have been more willing to wear that costume either!

Not the best shots of her costume, but it's something! Little did I know that Iwould not exactly have another chance for the rest of the evening to get a shot of her whole costume in tact  . . .
Daddy was on call that day, so we were especially happy to get a skype request from Aunt Sarah, she wanted to see Bekah's outfit before the night began, good thing somebody saw it!
The other moms on my street and I planned a block party before the trick or treating began. Bekah was once again amazed at the concept of a block party. "Wait, I can run around in the street? What you are always keeping me away from??
She also enjoyed seeing everyone's costumes and was quite amazed by how this girl sounded like her mother's helper, but just didn't quite look the same!
And the demise of the costume begins . . .
I see her holding her ears that I so lovingly made, and cringe as I hear the "snap" of the headband . . .
but not to fear, she finds a replacement (on her own I might add) and the party goes on!
She proceeds to fall and tumble during her "stroller racing" ( another competition to go along with her future high heel racing!) turning her white shoes quite gray and her leotard a nice little "street" color : ).
And then, to top it of, she acquires a good ol pizza stain to that leotard of hers! Yes, pizza stain! Don't know how exactly it happened, but at one point, she was sitting in a lawn chair on the grass, next thing I know, the lawn chair is on top of her, I quickly go to pull it off, and pick her up, to only see a big pizza slice STUCK to her chest! Teehee! I peeled it off of her, wondering how the heck a pizza slice got attached to my little girl and have to laugh at the fact that she oddly reminds me of a drunk college kid, who wakes up the morning after a big party, with cold pizza on his chest! I call it her Jim Belushi moment, you know from Animal House? : ) Now, there was pizza at the other table, but certainly none of which I had given her yet, and was she carrying it from the table? Had it been on the ground  and when she fell, that's how it got on her chest? Who knows, but by this point, her costume has taken a turn for the worse and "graceful" is not exactly a word to describe this ballerina! Happy though, could work, and really, that is all that matters!
All this to say, Bekah did not blink an eye when she had to go parade around the neighborhood in this awfully ambiguous costume! She had a great time! Especially when daddy got to come home from the hospital and take her trick or treating! I was amused by the way she chose the lollipops from the baskets, she sure knew what she was going for! It was also funny to see how many people would say, "And what are you supposed to be?" It's not like the girl wouldn't wear the costume like so many other kids, or that it was too hot, really, we were ready to look the part! It just got destructed, that's all! Teehee! One man even told her, "Hey, what's that thing, coming out of your hip?" I look down and her tail has rotated and definitely does look more like a random "thing" than a tail!" : )

Just to go along with our  attempted Halloween experience, as I attempted to add her Halloween pics blogger turned me down!! And not in it's typical fashion. After downloading a few of the pictures I got a notice that my blog is full of pictures and it doesn't have any more room! I tried deleting some duplicates ( i hope!) from previous posts, freeing up some space, but it just won't let me add the last few pictures of her trick or treating! After many failed attempts, I got this one of her and Zack, which is sweet : ). It sort of goes along with the whole theme of the week and I can only laugh at this little bit of irony : )  Until I figure out what to do about this road block in  my world of blogging, have a great thanksgiving everyone!
( and if this has happened to you on your blog and you have some suggestions, I would love to hear them too! thanks!)

5 comments:

Amy Mc said...

Oh Jenny, you had me laughing the entire time! I love your attempt, the costume turned out great and I am very impressed with your ears and tail!

Derrek and Emily said...

Jenny, I cracked up through this whole post. Te pizza on the chest was hilarious! She did look super cute though and it seems like she did have a blast :)

Sarah said...

i saw angelina ballerina and she was ADORABLE! though i have to say, the pizza-stained ballerina might be even cuter if that's possible :-) and geez, it's crazy how alike emma and bekah look! little cousin-twins.

Roger and Robyn said...

Jenny! I remember cracking up when you told me about all the costume mishaps, but the pictures just put it over the top! It was such a cute idea and costume. The pizza stain is just the best!

Mary Pat said...

Bekah looks beautiful in her pink dress at the wedding!! Love it!

You did a great job on the Halloween costumes! I'm glad you got some pictures of the outfit prior to the "Animal House" in Bekah came out! :) The pizza on her chest is hilarious!