Sunday, March 24, 2013

San Antonio Trips- part 1


So, like I said, we headed to San Antonio one week in February, and it was very spur of the moment! As a family, it was decided that we needed to get out of the cold and spend some time in Texas, and that we did! A little part of me wasn't sure I was up for another trip flying solo with the kids, but the positives of being with all the grandparents far outweighed my fears!
 
Since I hardly ever buy them toys, I took full advantage of stocking up on things for the trip!
The Usborne sticker dolly books were a must ( found at Barnes and Noble),
princess dollies in their wedding dresses with their respective "grooms",
all different kinds of matchbox cars/trucks for Benjamin,
truck and car board books for little brother ,
and of course,



 
lots and lots of snacks! It was on this plane flight that Benjamin had his first bag of fruit snacks, well,
maybe 3 or 4! Ha! That and a lolipop!  : ) Feeding himself applesauce took up lots of time,
as well as stickers, coloring, playing with ice,  and playing peekaboo with the ever so kind fellow passengers (. . .minus the one guy who Bekah spilled ice water all over on our flight back . . . I felt bad for him, I really did, but he sure wasn't very forgiving about it!)
 
It was 2.5 hrs to Dallas, and then, 50 minutes to SA.
 
The BOB stroller once again, was key in getting Benjamin a nap in between flights, and of course, helping me to carry all of our stuff, BUT, note to anyone not flying Southwest: we flew American this time and they only allow umbrella strollers, which the BOB is NOT! We were told this when we checked our luggage, they even weighed the stroller! I was one shell shocked mama, what was I going to do?? Benjamin doesn't sleep on plains, the layover would be the only time to get him a nap, and if he didn't, he would be a mess! Plus, how was I going to carry all our stuff and keep Benjamin right by my side??? So, after saying a quick prayer before security, Zack and I just decided to "play dumb" and go through security with it, since Southwest passengers go through it as well, and then,walk confidently up to the desk by the gate , and ask for a stroller tag! And sure enough, that particular flight attendant didn't say a thing about our stroller, thank goodness! 
 
Breaking the rules is okay to do when it involves the safety of your children
and the sanity of mama, right???

 
God bless the IPad, sure kept my girl happy while Benjamin needed all my attention! Basically, I found, that if you bring enough (little) and exciting stuff, plenty of snacks, both kids are somewhat healthy, and if you can get the older one self sufficient, you can get a 16 month old through a 2 .5 hr flight. It's not EASY, but I found you get into this mommy zone, and you only think about your kids, predicting their every move, trying to stay one step ahead! And then, you just act like a goober anytime one of them gets restless, showing extreme excitement each time a new toy is reveals or a new game is suggested! And if that doesn't work, just hand them another lolipop! Exhausting, but doable!
I have to note just how dependable and wonderful and obedient my precious girl was, I couldn't have done it without you Bekah girl! : )

 
The minute we got to San Antonio, we got this pale little boy outside!

 
We went to a nearby park and let the kids loose!

 
  Having a picnic felt like a novelty!

 
The Whitesides met us at the park, and then, we had a playdate at Gramommy's! Dancing and dressing up was a must!

 
Bekah was thrilled to spend time with her friend, and mommy was too!

 
I have really come to appreciate the mexican food in San Antonio, there isn't much to write home about here! So, while in SA, I made sure to have my parents take us to my favorite mexican food restaraunt, El Jarro!

 
Haha, not sure what happened to his pants, but the important thing is, HE DOESN'T NEED THEM!
 
Love how he is pointing to the liscense plate, as if to say, "This is where I belong Mama!"
 
 
 
When I take a picture of Benjamin these days, he either gives me a cheesy face and says, "cheese!" or he reaches for the camera because he WANTS it! Oh the things Benjamin wants these days! Hard to keep up!



 
Continuing our pursuit to enjoy the beautiful Texas weather, we headed to the zoo!
I think it had been over 20 years since I rode that train at Brekenridge Park!

 
Isn't it the best to give your kids experiences that they go gaga over?? : ) Benjamin was that way on the train, even though he doesn't look it here!

 
If his passy wasn't in his mouth, maybe it would be more obvious!
( dr. said I need to rid him of it by 18 months, less than 2 weeks away!)

 
 
I think the goldfish were her favorite part of the zoo, silly girl!
(Bekah chose to wear this "safari" dress because we were going to the zoo, teehee!
She is SUCH a thoughtful dresser these days, everything has a meaning!)



 
Those were the elephants Zack and I saw when we went to the zoo at their age!
Crazy! Simple things like that make me excited about moving back.
Having so many shared memories : ).

 
As always, Gramommy was the best playmate for the kids!

 
One of the days, Mary Pat was sweet enough to host a playdate at her house so Bekah could see some of her San Antonio friends!

 
Evie and cute Gwyneth.
Love the poses girls!

 
And what a surprise, the Louis' would be there too! Bekah instantly bonded with Margaret over their shared dress up appreciation!

 
Pretty ladies, Nancy and Paige.
Can't wait to be with them in San Antonio!

 
Sweet little Hannah : ). Looking forward to watching these adorable kiddoes grow up!

 
Princesses in their castle,

 
but they were kind enough to share with the boys too.
 
Thanks again girls for making time for us, and to Mary Pat for hosting!
 Carla, we missed you guys!

 
That wknd just happened to be my mom's 60th birthday, so we got our friends and family together and threw her a party! I was SO grateful that the timing worked out there!
Jeff and Rani drove in to celebrate, so we got to see them too! Bekah and Jeff were cute that wknd, she has really come to expect his goofiness and likes to egg him on, I love how they are building their own relationship these days!

 
Wrestling with Grandpa and

 
playing with Charlie were some of their favorite things to do at my parents house, that and playing outside.


Saturday night, we all headed to a local restaurant to celebrate my wonderful mom,
 what a special night it was!
( so, I didn't bring my good camera on this trip, and I really regret it! the timing of the flash and when the camera actually takes the pic always throws people off, ie- my kids! not to mention how awful the action shots are, maybe I just need to learn how to use it better?? user error perhaps?? : ) )

 
Allegra and Ryan made the drive down with their precious little boy, Carter!

 
Singing happy birthday to my mom later on that evening
 
( it's like 9:30 at this point, look at Benjamin, he's like, "someone just give me a bed!")


 
Bekah was smitten with Baby Carter all night long!

 
Cute boy!

 
I was wondering where some important pics from our Christmas visit went, and  I found them, so I wanted to slip them in too!
My dad took the family to the Tower of Americas for dinner one night, and Bekah got to go, which made her feel very special to be out so late!
We joke that this picture makes Rani and Jeff look like they have a kid!
 
 
Bekah loves her Aunt Rani!

 
On the day we flew back, only hours before the plane was to leave, I made sure I stopped by The Bass house to meet their new babies! I had been waiting so long to meet Abigail and Madeline! And of course, hug big sister Izzie and Big Brother Andrew!
I will forever be amazed by these little miracles and the way God knew JUST what he was doing when He gave them to this super mommy who has one of the biggest hearts I know! Carla is the PERFECT mommy for this special job and  I just marvel at her and the grace, optimism, stregnth and love that I see coming from my dear friend in this new chapter in her life!



 
Okay, and now back to February!
 
The flight back wasn't a bit more challenging than the flight to SA,
 but we had a great prize waiting for us, Daddy!
 
Hard being away from Daddy for a whole week, but what a gift it was to spend time in SA, our future hometown, that really, has always been our hometown!
 
( Love that place so much, we headed right back in March, that post
soon to come!)


No comments: