Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Planes, Sleds and Mule- Mobiles!

The day after Christmas, Bekah, Zack and I jumped on a plane and flew to CO to meet up with my family in Breckenridge for our annual ski trip. This year, we decided to fly because the thought of taking 1 and half day car trip with a baby just didn't seem too appealing! I was very nervous about how she would do, specifically, how her ears would be because I always have trouble with my ears on planes and more importantly, she had just recovered from her first ear infection. I was also nervous about her disrupting the other passengers. Both prayers were answered, her ears were fine and she seemed quite happy on the plane, we never got any dirty looks! Although I did hear one lady tell her friend that she would "NOT be sitting in back of that family," as she looked over at us! My face certainly showed my surprise at such a statement that yes, I understood, but gosh, I didn't need to hear! Her friend saw my face and told the "rude lady" , "that wasn't very nice!" as she looked over at me and smiled sympathetically! : ) I thought that was very kind of her to stick up for us!
So, here we are going through security, even Bekah had to take off her non functional shoes! I couldn't believe it! They had to check her baby food too, and run this little wand over it. It's like they expect a sneaky and smart Baby Stewy ( from the family guy) to get on their plane!
( Baby Bjorn/Baby Jeep- Flying Baby Neccesary Item #1!- wonderful to have for all babies that can not walk yet, I would recommend it over the stroller)

Teehee, I love this picture, she sure looks excited to ride on her very first plane flight!
(It was so great because the flight was not full, so the stewardess saw us with Bekah and told us we could take up a whole row! Families with small children are one of the first groups to board too, gotta love Southwest! Oh and they didn't charge us extra for the carseat even though we went over on our luggage!)

Flying Baby Necessary Item #2- Books! Lots and lots of Books! I felt bad for the people in back of us, they heard Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You?? enough to last a lifetime!
FBN Item #3- WINDOW seat! She loved looking out the window, pulling the shade up and down . .
FBN Item #4- Snacks! I stuffed that girl silly with cheerios, Baby Mum Mums, of course,baby food . . .
we basically just did an activity until she got restless and moved on to something else, it worked really well!
FBN Item #5- a tray table with one of those sticky mats so she can eat off of it. She LOVED pulling the tray table up and down as well, that was the real winner during the flight! I only feel bad for the person if front of us! Oh well, either they get a few bumps or two, or a crying baby, I would think , put like that, they wouldn't mind the "gentle nudges" Bekah may have given them!
Flying Baby Necessary Item #6- A great daddy! Zack and I sure tag teamed it the whole 2 hour flight, giving her snacks, reading her books, bouncing her, singing to her! Plus, I nursed her on the way up and down ( they say that you should give them a bottle or nurse to help with the change in air pressure for their ears) and it was really nice to have Zack there, it made me feel more comfortable nursing in public.

After a 2 hour flight and a 1 1/2 hour drive to the resort via car, we had made it! Zack and I were certainly exhaused with keeping Bekah happy during the flight, but it wasn't bad, it was hard, but not bad. We were so happy and grateful to be back in the mountains! The mountains certainly have a special place in both Zack and I's hearts, we love it up there!

Bekah and daddy attempting to make our first outing in the coldest weather
Bekah had ever experienced!

The first night we were there, we devised a make shift crib because my mom and dad had not arrived yet with the pack and play. Here she is in her little nook made out of couches and couch pillows!
She had those rosey cheeks the whole time we were up there. Daddy grew his mountain man beard, and she sported the cute little cheeks!
Once everyone had arrived, we set out for dinner at the Brewery, one of our favorite places to go in Breck, to celebrate a lot of blessings! Ryan and Allegra's engagement, Kath's grad school, Jeff's CPA and our 6th Wedding Anniversary!

And for the reason we came, skiing! I was so excited to get to ski this year, thanks to May May, I had a few hours in between nursing to hit the slopes! Not only did I love being back on the mountain doing one of Zack and I's favorite things, I felt like Bekah and May May really got to bond.
Jeff and Rani:
This was only Rani's 3rd year to ski and she was awesome! I was so impressed!
In a few years, wonder what parent will be hitting the slopes as Bekah's teacher? Daddy with his snowboard or mommy with her skis??? I am thinking skiing should be the first thing Bekah learns. . .
The fam with our future ski bunny: She was so cute the way she clearly didn't know what to think of us with all our gear on! She would just stare at us trying to figure us out.
Keeping with tradition, after each day of skiing, Jeff would make Zack and him a "hot toddy" : ) as they say in the mountains : ) ( aka a jack and coke).
One afternoon, instead of skiing, Bekah and I went to town with mom, dad and Rani.
Getting dressed in CO has a whole new meaning,
with all those snuggly layers!
She really liked this dog house ice sculpture : ).
The ladies showing Bekah all the best shops in Breck:

Me and my mommy : )


So the title says "sleds" and I don't have an actual picture of us on the sled that grandpa bought Bekah, but this is right before we got on it. And don't worry, it wasn't Clark Grizwold style ( teehee, with the WD40 on the bottom!), the so called "sledding" definately took place on a slight incline in the condo parking lot!

Rani and Bekah:

My amazing family:

On the ski trip, each family hosts a dinner at their condo. Here we are hosting the Frolows.
Bekah, Kath, Rani, Ryan, Allegra . . .
Zack, Grandpa, Igor, Pam, May May and Jeff:

Isn't this a cute pic of Uncle Jeff and my little bookworm?

Daddy and Bekah:
I loved the Carter's super warm and snuggly sleepers with a hoodie. As you can see, she wore hers all the time:

Here is Bekah touching snow for the first time!



She really wasn't a fan . . .



Thanks Grandpa and May May for making our first of many ski trips with our little snow bunny possible! We had the best time!

The May family sure has been lucky the way that "additions," Zack and Rani LOVE the mountains as much as we do! We have been coming up to CO for over 20 years now! Let's just hope that our very newest member loves it as much as we do . . . . : )


Now, one more Flying Baby REMINDER, is, if you can, just go ahead and pay for the direct flight! Zack and I tried to get the cheaper flight and it flew us from CO 2 hours in the opposite direction to LAS VEGAS! Where we had a 1 1/2 hour layover to only fly 2 1/2 MORE hours to San Antonio! It . . . was . . . the . . . longest. . . . day. . . . ever! : ) When I saw Nora and Steve at the airport in SA I wanted to cry with relief!
( just had to take a picture with my baby infront of slot machines!)
And speaking of Nora and Steve, the very next day, we drove to the ranch to celebrate New Years with them!
Here is Bekah in her new girly lacey camo getup! There is even lace on the bootie!


And Bekah has been to the ranch before, but it wasn't until this trip, that she woke up and noticed all those funny dear head all over the walls! She was so intrigued and kept making faces and noises, motioning to touch them!
Here is Nora, trying to imitate Bekah's excitement:

Gotta love Grandmommy and her funny self!




Due to the fact that she now has her own camo AND she is such a big girl, we thought that her first mule ride was in order! Here she is sitting on daddy's lap, ready to scope out some ranch animals!


Like mommy, like child though, the soothing ride of the mule and the calming sound of the engine had this girl sleeping in minutes! That is how I always feel on the mule!Oh well, she has the rest of her life to see these animals!

Thanks Burkharts for giving us such a special way to start this new year!
We love both of our families dearly and we are so grateful that Zack got TWO WEEKS off for Christmas so we could spend it with our favorite peeps!






























































































5 comments:

Amy Mc said...

Thanks for the lowdown on all your travelling. I'll definitely put those flying tips in my back pocket for future reference! By the way, Nora looks really pretty in those pictures!

Kristen said...

How special that you were able to introduce Bekah to such a special family tradition. That is the exact same way I feel about camping with Ava. I loved all the pictures of her with her rosy cheeks and all snuggled up in her warm clothes. She looked like a little snow bunny. :)

Carla said...

Wow! What an update! You got some great pictures in there. And I am right there with Vaughan about tradition. What a special time for you as a family :)

Mary Pat said...

I love all of the pictures of Bekah bundled up!! That lacey camo outfit is so funny!!

Roger and Robyn said...

I'm so glad that your flying trips and road trips were successful! I'll keep those tips in mind for the first time we fly with the boys. Love the family pictures!