Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A Daddy Weekend!

Last weekend was such a sweet blessing to us, Daddy was home for 3 whole days! Zack can't take anytime off during the months of April, May and June, so he is going to take a day here or there this month to study and be with his girls : ). So on Friday, as a study break, we went to something I have been looking forward to doing here in Houston, the Azalea Trail! There really are many reasons why I like it here in Houston, one being, the beautiful vegetation! The Azalea Trail showcases both the amazing gardens and homes in the River Oaks area, and has been doing so for 75 years. I really love how Zack and I both enjoy looking at houses and even gardens together. I have to say, I was pretty proud of my hubby for taking me, he certainly stuck out, being one of the few MEN walking around, and being under 60 at that : ).

Believe me, I would have taken HUNDREDS of pictures of the beautiful homes, but I decided that might look tacky, so I refrained . . . I stuck to the grounds . ..

Then, the very next day, we jumped in the car and headed to Corpus Christi for my friend Kerry's wedding! Kerry and I met in pep squad our freshman year and I really do have her to thank for helping to make my freshman year so much fun! This would be our first family vacation, just the 3 of us.

Here we are at Bekah's first visit to Whataburger (Whataburger started in Corpus Christi, did you know that? So whenever we there, we must stop and get what Zack says is the best fast food burger you can buy : ) ).

Okay, so I meant to take this picture to show what a picky eater Bekah basically still is by pointing out that she has left all the yummy fries and chicken fingers and will only eat the mandarin orange that I brought her, but by the time I had grabbed my camera, daddy had already eaten all of Bekah's rejected fried food! See that hand there, snatching the yummy goodness away??? Bekah couldn't care less! Now, if he took a blueberry or banana, that is a whole different story! Oh and notice how she is not sitting in a highchair from the restaurant? I am turning into a high chair snob! They just seem so icky and full of germs, I would rather just stick her in her own chair, is that weird? Plus, she always climbs out of the larger ones that restaurants have anyways . . . : )



Once we got to the hotel Bekah was excited because all the kids at the hotel got a "KidPack," including Bekah!! Really! It was a (cardboard : ) ) backpack full of all sorts of goodies! At first, I thought, that's cool, but she really isn't old enough, but gosh . . .


Anything that makes her THIS happy, I'll take! : ) It's her first backpack too! Cardboard or not, it's pretty cute!

Daddy is stealing her twizzlers and checking out this disc launcher that Bekah ended up loving! Daddy would "launch it" and then she would go crawling after it, get it and bring it back! Yes, I know, like a DOG! That girl could teach Charlie a thing or two about fetch!


Backpack on, ready to hit up her first ever, wedding ceremony! Mommy is very nervous right now, not sure how she will do after just being in a car for 4 hours!

Turns out she loved the backpack and all it's goodies and the books we brought so much, she had to talk about it, during the ceremony! So, while the lovely couple was up in the front exchanging vows . ..


Bekah and daddy were in the Sacristy playing happily and loudly : ). Really, she was so good and happy, just a little too vocal : ). Zack actually said that going to wedding ceremonies with a child isn't half bad, it gives him something to do during the ceremony! Although this was a particularly exciting ceremony because the priest was actually Irish and decided to sing a pretty lengthy "Irish jig" at the end of it, seriously! Zack missed out!


Congrats to Kerry and JR, they really are a perfect match for one another!
Kerry was just beautiful and glowing on her special day! The wedding reception was gorgeous and we had a wonderful time while we were there. Yeah, while we were there . . . I never thought the day would come where Zack and I would leave a wedding WITHOUT wedding cake, but sadly that day came. Bekah was fine up until around 8 o'clock, and then Bam! It was like she hit a brick wall and had had ENOUGH! It was time to take this girl back to the hotel! ( I definitly made Zack go to the gift shop downstairs and buy us some cookies though!)
And how funny it is to stay in a hotel with a baby, when they go to sleep, you go to sleep, what else is there to do?? It was actually pretty nice, getting to bed early for once!
The next morning, we got up early and went to breakfast.
View from our hotel. There are parts of Corpus that really are pretty, it was just so nice to see the ocean!
Bekah couldn't stay still in that hotel room, she wanted to explore everything!




After breakfast and before heading back, we took a nice long walk along the coast and on the pier and it was really pretty! How nice it must be to live in a coastal town, I forget how much I love the ocean : ).

Poor Bekah, she really did have a good time, though I think her ears were bothering her. See how grumpy she looks? : ( I look forward to hearing what the ENT says next week.

All in all, we had a great time and it was a nice feeling, leaving town with my man and my little girl! We now understand what people mean when they say how going on vacation changes when you become a parent : ). Spending time with them was all I wanted though, and that is what I got, I am so grateful : ).


















3 comments:

Roger and Robyn said...

I'm so glad you got to see the Azalea trail and have some Daddy time! That time is so precious these days. Congrats on your first successful family vacation! :)

Mary Pat said...

I love the pictures of Bekah and her backpack!! She was so excited!

We'll definitely need to check out the Azalea trail next year!

Kelly said...

Oh my gosh Jenny I just read your other post I had no idea that Bekah was so sick, too! I am so sorry! I hope she's doing better. How are her ears? We're going to see the ENT next week but I'm a little worried that Trig's ears are hurting him again so we may head back to the pediatrician :(