Saturday, December 8, 2012

Benjamin's 13th and 14th Months

 
Dear Benjamin,
Happy 13 and 14 month birthdays! : ) What a busy few months we/you have had! Time escaped me, so I am combining the two months, but it seems to actually make sense to me because so much changed from the 13th to 14th! So it's a fun way to compare and look back!
 
 
 
During your 12th and 13th month, you were pretty "concerned" about anything and everything, making you one grumpy boy! It was understandable, you were frustrated! You were beginning to talk and communicate, but not enough, you wanted to tell me more! You wanted to walk and be more physical, but the timing wasn't right on that either, AND you were working on your 2nd molar!
 
You hated the  car seat, had lots of seperation anxiety
BUT
you started to like bathtime more (thanks to your fun bath paint and colors from our friends!),
actually likes the cold ( you get this funny little grin as the COLD wind blows against your face!),
and started to "pray" with us at mealtimes!
 
I still said you quick to laugh, but boy were you ever quick to cry!

 
These pictures sure say otherwise, which is a reminder that our month had alot of ups as well as downs, daddy never knew what sort of moods he was going to come home to that month. Thing was, Bekah ended up being quite effected by your sadness, it really stressed her out because she loves you so, so it was a challenging month, in many respects, but it didn't last long!

 
14th month!
You started being able to communicate SO much better in your 14th month! It's been the funnest thing, hearing you talk, and hearing you talk about what YOU want to talk about! I don't have to prompt you as much, you tell me! It's awesome, hearing what your brain is thinking about!
You love to:
- point out animals and the sounds they make
- talk about what you are wearing, "socks!" "shoes!" "hat!" and if there is an animal on them,
what is on your bib ( ball, bat, dog)
- going "outside!"
- says dada when you feel the garage door opening! ( we live in a townhome, so the garage is under us)
- what you are eating, "snack!""milk!" "cheese!" "more" "all done" "bottle", says "aww!" when you are feeling me
- talk about balls and bats and cars ( "vroom, vroom!")
- saying our names, bekah, mama, dada, sar ( aunt sarah)
- announcing "baba!" ( barbra)
- talking about your lovie and sleepsack
- "up, up, up," to be picked up
- "ba!" for bathtime
- by by! even before I ask him to say it, he really is good about sensing the goodbye ( jackets being put on, walking to the door, getting in the stroller)
- hi!
- and of course, the infamous "mama" which means passy!
- tries to say thank you and please
(it took too much thinking to write out all the ways he says these words, so i only did it on some!)
 
 
 
Well, THAT helped ALOT! Even if no one else can understand you, mama does! And even Bekah sometimes! Plus, you are really good at pointing to help me see what you are talking about.
 
Oh and I loooove that I can tell you sooo much and you understand! I can tell you to do all sorts of things, like "go play with your trains," or "go to your high chair!" or "put on your hat!" and you do all of them ( to the best of your ability!). I can even tell you to stand up in the bathtub so I can wash you! Yesterday, I told you "take your passy out so  I can hear what you are saying!" and you took it out and repeated yourself! It's amazing being able to communicate with you Benjamin!
 
 It's been so much easier, being able to explain things to you to! If you are upset, I can tell you about what WILL happen and just hearing those keywords like, "sleepsack" or " we are going to get bekah!" actually helps you to calm down! : ).

 
You love to give hugs and kisses when I ask you to, and sometimes, you do it on your own! And you now have started blowing kisses when I say, I love you!
 

 
 
The best thing of all, you started walking over thanksgiving, officially, and MAN has that made a difference in your happiness factor! It's what you have been waiting for buddy!
This Thanksgiving, I was so grateful, you were walking and talking! So proud of you and YOU were so proud of yourself!
I have to say, having an audience probably pushed you along too and I would love to thank Grandmommy, Pops and Aunt Sarah for all that motivation! It was so obvious that you were showing off for them and it will always been one of my favorite memories, seeing how happy you were with yourself and just how darn fun it was for you to WALK!

Having that molar torture end also made a difference last month, 2 down, 2 to go!
 
(I am in a rare stage right now too, both kids like smiling for the camera! Anytime I get a camera out or even my phone ( ha! kids these days!) he gives me this face for a second or two, it's his cheesey face! It makes me laugh every time!)


 
Here are pics from the last two months, maybe in no particular order, but I will try to make sense of them:
 
opening wide to show me that mean old molar!
 
At Baby Kiera's 1st Birthday party
( Kiera is the baby of the other fellow)
 
 
It was at a pumpking patch, you had a blast!



 
(you wear your ND gear so much up here, rightfully so, but I had to try to represent by putting you in your burnt orange too!)

 
Bekah couldn't get enough of these tire horses, she was facinated with them!

You love to make animal sounds these days, so I had to get a pic to represent this time of your life. It's so cute, you will see an animal, take the passy out of your mouth as if to say, "drum roll please," and then, announce the sound!
Glad the passy isn't keeping you from talking!

 
Kids at the party:

 
You continue to love balls and they will instantly make you happy : ).

 
Another development is your desire to not want to eat things cut up.
Such as a banana or chicken nuggest. Makes things easier for mom!

 
Your devotion to Barbara still rings true,

 
So true that sometimes I wonder if I need to get you one of your own, but Bekah is good about sharing. I think she likes how much YOU like her! 

 
 You made friends with another little brother from dance class, and y'all were very excited to go to Will's party:

 
So you really made some "big steps" the wknd before Thanksgiving, when we were in Chicago. Here we are at the Art Museum ( they have a kiddie area) and you just stood up and walked over to the bookshelf, totally taking mama by surprise, so much so, that I think I was a little loud with my excitement and encouragement, we got everyone's attention!

 
Happy I had my camera around my neck at that moment!

 
Here you are showing off for the Burkharts.
It's been fun to see how excited Bekah gets about it. I think your relationship hit a new level with this walking!

 
Your interest has been very high with books, but I have noticed your attention span is getting longer and longer too!

 
And guess what you don't need anymore?? Your sleepsack!
During your 14th month, we made the transition and now you sleep with it, like it's a blankie and it makes you oh so happy to get it when it's time for you to sleep! I even catch you walking over to your crib to pull it out, which I don't know if I should let you do, but watching a cute little toddler, toddle around, holding a blanket and sucking on a passy is one of the cutest sights I ever did see!

 
During your 13th month, we did the transition from formula to milk and it went great! Since you drank the formula so well, and you kept having this on again,  off again snotty/coughing situation, I was hesitant to mess up a good thing, hydration wise, so I did dinner first, with a sippy cup of milk, holding on to lunch and breakfast, next week, dropped lunch and until 4 days ago ( about your 14th month birthday) you were taking a bottle in the morning.
But, no more!
It has been interesting, watching two different kids transition from one thing to the next, in two different ways. Always being a success, and for that I am grateful!

 
Sitting at the "big kid" table continues to make you feel so proud,
here you are trying to do art like Bekah.


You are so much more interested in crayons, markers, playdough, than Bekah ever was, sure helps to have someone cooler and older to "bless" these fun art supplies! I love watching you bring a crayon to a piece of paper, the way you see your sissy do!

 
Oh and on the days you get to SIT with her at that table, to eat a "sna!" you just beam with pride! I have to stay right by your side though, you are working on your sturdiness, though just the other day, you got out of the chair safely on your own, sliding down did the trick!
Benjamin you are SOOOO good at watching what Bekah does and duplicating it, monkey see,  monkey do! That's why our big sister here has a big job to be a wonderful role model for you!

 
All this boy stuff around the house really has diversified Bekah's interests, she loves showing you how to make the cars move and playing with your new ramps!
This month really has been a great one for your relationship and I have learned so much already about keeping the peace and helping you two to love one another and play well together.
I am proud of your big sister, I know it's a hard thing to do, to have someone constantly changing and growing right in front of her who has  more independance in thinking and moving!

 
I am always suprised to catch you looking at books, and more times than not, it's a Richard Scarry book ( maybe because we have so many?), looks like you may be Busytown fan too!
( "Who, what, where, when, why, how???")

 
You have remained faithful to your CD player though, you have loved this toy from the time you were sitting up, it's a golden toy as far as I'm concerned!

 
But, more than anything, it's cars, balls and animals that strike your fancy!
Even at the super loud and extra stimulating Children's Museum, you want to look at the paintings on the windows of the cars : ).

 
You never pass up a dinosaur though and always make the cutest roaring sound for them : ).
Love how the Children's Museum really is a place for YOU to learn now, more than ever before!

 
Oh and just for the record, you had your 3rd haircut the other day, 3rd!
You've got fast growing hair, just like your sister!
And boy are you a superstar when you get your hair cut too!
Doesn't hurt that you are  IN  a car, watching a movie!

 
It's been such a privaledge, watching you grow up these past few months, more than ever before! I have to stop myself alot these days with silly questions about that to do with you, on things like icecream. We are all eating icecream ( yogurt really), you act like you want some too, do I give you a few tries or not? It's sort of like you are in this gray area of not being a baby anymore, but do I let you climb to the top of the Chick Filet playscape because you can and just go in there with you or do I not because you are still "too young?" Teehee, that happened just yesterday and I just went up there with you! You sure do think you are big Benjamin! It's cute, and it melts my heart, witnessing you experience this world of ours, with so much excitement and curiosity!
 

 
I love you dear boy and I thank God for giving you to us every day!
Love,
Mama
 
 
 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

he is so precious. so handsome. so smart. what a joy, i'm sure.