Sunday, December 16, 2012

Halloween and Thanksgiving

Before we go home for Christmas, I told myself that I HAD to post about Halloween and Thanksgiving, so here you go!

Bekah had decided the moment her friend Lina gave her a Rapunzel nightgown, that she would be Rapunzel for Halloween. Well, as quickly as she made that decision, Benjamin's fate had been determined, he would be Pascal, her friendly Chameleon sidekick : ).
 
 
I didn't really search high and low for a chameleon costume, assuming it would be a hard thing to do, and one day, while in Pottery Barn Kids, I saw one there, on sale at that!
After all, this would be the year to buy one of those "stuffed" costumes, to stay warm in, here in Indy!
We tried it on as soon as we got home, to make sure it worked:


 
Here the kids are, at the library storytime halloween celebration : ).
 
 
 
We went to Chick Filet for their Halloween Family Night.
Benjamin didn't know quite what to think of the cow and burst into tears
twice that night when the cow got close!
( right after this pic was taken, the tears came!) 
 
 
Bekah and Daddy spent some time together carving the perfect pumpkin.
 
 
 
Bekah was so excited about the pumpkin creation, she asked if daddy could bring it into the kitchen, so they could do a "pumpkin dance" together!
So cute, the way she is ALWAYS finding  a reason to dance, and to dance with her daddy at that!

 
We made Halloween cookies for her classmates,
I am loving my little sidekick in the kitchen these days!

 
 
 
Bekah got to wear her costume to school too!
( Back row, 2nd from the R)
 
 

 
 
 
They had the kids walk around the school in a halloween parade, Bekah was very proud and not shy one bit to show off her costume!

 
She was particularly proud of her "Rapunzel like hair." On a whim, I came up with something that seemed to make her happy, braids with flower rubberbands!
 
 
It was really fun brainstorming with her on what we could do to make her look like Rapunzel in the scene where she goes back to her village and the little girls do her hair.
No wonder my girl likes to dress up, her mama loves to also!

 
She got to be Rapunzel in Dance class too!
 
Here she is with her dance friends and her AWESOME teacher, Ms. Lara!
 
 

 
Posing for a group pic!
My gratitude for the way Bekah has fallen in love with her dance class, her bible study and her preschool is so great, I can't praise god enough for helping her to find these communities!

 
 The day of, we got out bowl of candy ready for trick or treaters,


 
and then,
our friends came over for pizza and trick or treating in the neighborhood!
 
The other fellow and his family as well as another Dr. and his family were able to join us : ).
 
Sarah with her daddy, Shannon, Bekah
Benjamin and his friend Kira

 
Funny, preparing the Halloween costumes the month of, to only cover them up, the night of, because it's so cold! New experience for us Texans!
I told that girl to button up her jacket so many times, but she refused,
 "Then I'm not Rapunzel Mama!"
Don't blame the girl!
 
 
The "babies" stayed out way too late, but were surprisingly good about both the timing and the cold!
 

 
Even though Daddy was on call, he made it, just in the nick of time!

 
This lady came out to give special "baby snacks" to the little ones!

 
We had Benjamin get out of the wagon once, for a picture op of him "trick or treating."
And yes, our boy is wearing socks for gloves ( I went out and bought some soon after!)
and Bekah's pink snow boots, since his shoes would do nothing to keep his feet warm.
 I went out and got him some warmer shoes after that as well!

Trick or treating was fun, but in Bekah's book, best part was coming home and chowing down!
It was a fun night and we thank our friends for joining us!
 

 
Next up, Thanksgiving!
 
Tuesday, Bekah insisted that she wear her Pilgrim costume that Ms. Rebekah, Ms. Amy, Ms. Sari and Ms, Meagan made for for her, 2 years ago! Still fits!
 
We got lots of laughs and funny comments at school from parents and teachers!
 
 
 
Gramommy, Pops and Aunt Sarah came up for it, since Daddy was on call, and boy are we grateful to them for giving us such a special few days to spend with them, to thank God for our many blessings!
 
Bekah and Benjamin were on Cloud Nine the whole time,
that is not an exageration!
These kids are kids that need to be around family,
it was inspiring to see how happy they were!
 
Texas, we are almost there!


 
And so, the big job for mama this year was, to make a turkey!
For the first time!
 I consolted my two new and favorite cookbooks, and lo and behold, I made my family a turkey!
It was quite the task that ended up being kind of fun, an adventure really!
I had to "order" the turkey, find a V- shaped rack, find and use kosher salt for the first time, brine it, wake up in the middle of the night to rinse the brine off, tie it with cooking twine ( up until then, I had only used twine in crafting! ha!), and rotate it and turn it while baking!
Really, though, it was fun!
Here is the turkey that I "bonded with" over those 3 days!

 
Thanks to Nora, Sarah and Bekah for their help!
( Bekah enjoyed basting the turkey with the brush)

 
Bekah helped to set the table and was in charge of all the table decorations.
It's been fun, having to make most of our decorations this year, since alot of them are in storage!

 
Benjamin slept through the feast, but made up for it later!

 
Hard to tell, but the centerpiece was a "thankful tree." Bekah and  I found sticks at a park, put them in a vase and then, wrote down on "leaves" what she was grateful for. At lunch that day, we had everyone in the family also add a leaf.
(Thanks Vaughanie for the idea!)
 


 
And there she is, my turkey!
She was delicious! I would be lying if I said I didn't say a few prayers over that turkey, like I said, "we bonded!"( Teehee! Mostly, those prayers included, "please don't give my family food poisoning!")

 
The next day, another prayer : ) was answered, Zack got his wish, the Irish won and are headed to the National Championships!

 
It was about 25 degrees that night, and during halftime, Zack claimed  that if they won, he would run around the block ( it would be midnight by then) declaring the Irish's greatness!
 
And that he did!
( good thing he was on call and could not be drinking, who knows what he would have done, teehee, just kidding!!)

 
Next few days were spent perfecting Benjamin's walk, playing lots of dress up, watching Sound of Music for the first time with Bekah, dancing, going to the Children's Museum, and of course, lots of eating!

 
I thank God for our many blessings, namely, our family, our friends, our health and Jesus' 
eternal love and endless grace!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


1 comment:

Kristen said...

ahh, what a great post! thanks so much for all the details and pictures. Every time I read your posts I think what a thoughtful, creative, and prayerful mommy you are. You always inspire me! We miss you guys so much! Summer will be here before you know it and then you will be back in texas!