This Thanksgiving was very special, mostly because it was Bekah's first Thanksgiving, and also because I got to host 17 of our family members at our own house for the big turkey dinner! This was because Zack was on call that Thursday and Friday and would not be able to leave town as usual and we had hoped that he would be able to stop in between his duties at the hospital and join us for some turkey. Sadly, that didn't actually happen, but we still had the most wonderful time with our fun family who we love so much!
As excited as I was to take on such a special tradition at our very own home, I was a bit nervous too, I wanted it all to be just right, so Sandy and Ed came down a few days early to help me out.
Here we are figuring out the table setting:
We had one table in the front room that sat 11:
While we were on china setting duty, Grandpa was on Bekah duty:
And yes, that is me, wearing a shower cap! I was in the middle of cleaning my fans when my mom called me into the kitchen to show me how to get all the fat out. And I am not ashamed to say, that working with the turkey was so much fun! I didn't mind all the umm . . . "fat extraction" : ) and then, the stuffing! Maybe it is the surgeon's wife in me coming out? : )
Even Bekah wanted to join in on the fun of stuffing the turkey : )
Grandpa Ed was a great big help too, showing us how to tie the turkey back up.
Now, I would say that the whole day went as well as I could hope for ( minus the fact that daddy couldn't make it home). The only other glich was Sir Charles' little hunt that he decided to go on Thanksgiving morning! I guess Charlie wanted to contribute to the affair and so, that morning, when I let him out to go potty, what did he come back with, but a DEAD RAT! Yes, my little weiner dog caught him his first rat on Thanksgiving Day! Minus the sheer disgust of that fact, I guess we ought to be proud of this little guy, that is what he is bread to do after all! And so, Grandpa quickly scooped up the rat, wrapped him in a garbage bag and to keep the animals away from it in the garage, put it in a corona box! Charlie got "excommunicated" to his crate before I gave him a mighty good bath and then Thanksgiving festivities were picked up once again!
Here he is, with his "kill":
Here he is, with his "kill":
Here she is learning about Care Bears : ).
With the turkey in the oven, it was now time to get dressed! Once again, we put her smocked Thanksgiving dress on her, had to get our money's worth! Thanks Aunt Kath for her turkey friend : ).


The night before, I had pureed some ground turkey for her, so she could have a Thanksgiving Feast too! Here she is with her sweet potatoes, ground turkey, place card and everything.
Purred turkey is pretty much the grossest thing I have made her so far, but as long as I pair it with sweet potatoes, pears ( yuck!) or apples, she seems good with this extra protein I am giving her!
Bekah actually went down for a nap during the feast, which was both sad and nice. I wanted her around, but it gave me more of a chance to do my hostessing duties : ). Here is the table, wine bottles out, icecubes in glasses, all we need now is for everyone to grab their plates and .. .
say a blessing, read some bible verses and then, head over to the food table to load up!
If Zack had been their, the dessert table would not have stayed this way for long:
The food was yummy, but as it should be, the company was the best part. I just love hanging out with my family! How blessed we are to have family members that really are some of our favorite friends!
Sarah's boyfriend, Adam and Jeff:
Katherine, Rani and Rani's sister, Brittany:
My cousin Ryan was such a big help in the kitchen, making the yummiest bread!
The Burkhart table, Nora, Steve, Adam and Sarah
Sarah's boyfriend, Adam and Jeff:
Igor, Pam, Kath, Ryan, Jeff, Rani, Karl, Brittany, Katie, Mom and Dad
Once Bekah woke up, she gots lots of attention from her sweet family
Bekah got an early Christmas present from the Frolows, the Efl on the Shelf! I couldn't believe it when I opened it up because I had actually been wanting it for Bekah to use one day! It's the cutest little tradition to start with your kids!
The very next day, once the kitchen was clean and the house was back in order, my parents helped me decorate for Christmas! With Zack being on call once again, it was so nice to have help! They are just the best and I love doing projects with them, we make a great team : ).
And here it is, a trim of lights around the roof, garland on the porth and wreaths under each light! And don't worry all you Christmas Vacation fans, we definately did a drum roll as dad turned on the lights! Then I looked at him and said, "Thanks dad, you taught me everything I know about exterior illumination!" : ) Teehee! Looking at our sweet house with Christmas lights on, that just had all of our loving family over the day before, with a darling baby inside sleeping, my parents by my side, just the thought of it made me want to cry.
I had the best time learning all things turkey and hostessing from you mom!
I just LOVE having you stay with us!
Pam, Kath, Me, Bekah, Mom, Rani, Nora and Sarah
Here is Ed putting up our very first Christmas lights! Even though Zack was not around for this big occasion, everything was his idea ( the wreaths and garland and color of lights, we had picked it all out one day that Zack had off). Dad did the leg work that Zack just didn't have time for:
Thanks a million grandpa!
4 comments:
This is such a great Thanksgiving post! I love the table decorations! Everything looked great!!
The picture of you and your mom with the turkey is adorable, and hilarious! : )
Bekah looked so pretty in her Thanksgiving outfit!
it's a beaut, clark! i had so much fun this thanksgiving - you're an amazing hostess. thanks for everything, jenny :-)
Great post! Looks like you guys had a good holiday :)
so glad that your thanksgiving was a success!
such a beautiful family :)
Post a Comment