Bekah turned 13 months last Sunday, and here is a glimpse of our first month
AS A ONE YEAR OLD!
(and regarding that amazing factoid, as much as I can't believe it, in a way, I really can. I have had the privilege of spending my days with her, so her growing up has been a bit more gradual for me and it makes sense that she is this big. I know I will have my emotional moments, but as of now, I really am good with her getting older, she is just so much fun!)
Our friend Ava had a very good idea to make the monthly pictures in a new setting, so thanks for the scenery change idea Ava, this is what Bekah and I came up with:
I purposefully did not take pictures of one of Bekah's most special birthday gifts, so I could reveal it in this post . . .
a beautiful growth chart made by no other than Amy McAdams! Y'all, I think her growth charts are absolute masterpieces and for her to have made one for Bekah just meant the world to me! Not only is it simply gorgeous and perfectly crafted for Bekah and her room, it came from a very special family, thank you dear friends!
We thought her growth chart would be the perfect place to start taking her 12 month "plus" pics, since she is quite the stander AND the grower! : ) At first we thought we might have to hold her hands up to keep her from sitting down,
- at her 12 month appt. she looked great, she is 30 1/2 inches (90%) and 19.8 lbs (25%)
- she does lots of pretend play such as having a tea party, putting dollie to night night, talks on the phone, rocks her dolllie and pretends to put her purse over her shoulder like she is going somewhere!
- she has been showing her increasing awareness of the world around her by saying "no" alot : ), and has had a "temper tantrum" or two : ).
- already got a one year molar
-we are in the weening process ( more on that to come)
-we are in the weening process ( more on that to come)
- she is very affectionate and gives lots of hugs and kisses when asked to, and when she just feels like it!
-can say a few more new words such as ball and bubbles
- "barks" ( screams really!) when she sees dogs
- she picks up the book she wants me to read to her and when I tell her to choose a book, showing that she is developing favorites now more than ever. Additionally I love how by handing me a book she is communicating to me that she wants to read!
-says "uh-oh" in the cutest, most appropriate times!
- much more ticklish now
- can now blow back in my face after I blow in hers!
- fully understands the humor behind peek a boo
- goes through everything and anything, and climbs on everything!
- makes a sniffing sound when she sees flowers!
- is continually pointing to things to either have them or have me tell her the name
If y'all are interested in ordering one from Amy, just let me know!
This 13th month also involved a new special friend, named Rosie,
Another would be her weening! As soon as her birthday festivities had come to an end, I dropped her lunchtime feeding ( I had been nursing her 3 times a day at that point). It went okay at first, she enjoyed using her new cup from both Cassie and Vaughanie:
( teehee, I hardly notice her flexibility anymore, but when I stop and look at pics like this, I can't help but giggle, she is so funny!)

But then, after getting her 12 month shots, Bekah had a reaction to the vaccines and was sick for about 5 days! The next thing we knew, after recovering from that, she had a horrible allergy attack that turned into a virus. ( I am trying NOT to think about all the Tylenol and Motrin I gave her that is now being recalled!) See the runny nose and watery eyes? As fun as her 13th month has been, it sure has been hard and sad with her sicknesses and teething!
Many days we were cooped up, trying to get better, but other days, we tried to get outside into the fresh air. ( we had a neighborhood concert the other night that we went to, not sure if it was the best idea, but at the time, we just thought it was allergies!)
By that time, I had dropped one feeding and was down to nursing her at night and in the morning, but I had to wait until she started feeling better to continue with the weening so that she could stay hydrated.
In between not feeling too good, Bekah tried to be a big girl, by acting like her mommy,
meaning, she tries to put my clothes on!

She tried for the longest time with my shirt, and finally I had to give her a little help! I just had to get a picture of this first of many "dress up time" in mommy's closet! All she needs really are my high heels on, right?
She absolutely adores her walker from Evie, but has stepped it up a bit, by turning it almost into a car, purse and all! She has claimed an old Vera Bradly purse of mine, sticks her cell phone in it and drives around the house! Sometimes she picks up items along the way, such as a lucky dishtowel.
She often beckons for the spoon these days and wants to do it "myself!" She is very patient about it and you can just tell how special it makes her feel.
As big as she may be acting, she still prefers to crab crawl, but she did take her very first steps about 2 weeks ago WHILE daddy was watching her! This completely made his day that he was there for such an important milestone!
Daddy's big test was this month and now that it is over, we get a bit more of daddy these days,
which we just couldn't be more grateful about! One of Bekah's favorite things is having daddy take her out in the backyard and tell her all the things that they are looking at : ). She is just soaking up the words we say to her like tree, sky, flowers, swing . . .

Because Daddy doesn't have to study every free minute he gets anymore, we actually got to be like a real American family and head out to a festival one weekend! It was the Blue Bell Ice cream festival out in Brenum and we had such a great time with daddy and friends! It's times like these that I always pictured in my head as I thought about having a family of my own, doing family outings like this on the weekends, it was really great to have daddy with us : ). And I know she is young and all, but we definitly did not keep this Burkhart from her ice cream!
Emily and Robyn and their families came with us : )
Bekah enjoyed both the ice cream and the animals!

She tried for the longest time with my shirt, and finally I had to give her a little help! I just had to get a picture of this first of many "dress up time" in mommy's closet! All she needs really are my high heels on, right?
Because Daddy doesn't have to study every free minute he gets anymore, we actually got to be like a real American family and head out to a festival one weekend! It was the Blue Bell Ice cream festival out in Brenum and we had such a great time with daddy and friends! It's times like these that I always pictured in my head as I thought about having a family of my own, doing family outings like this on the weekends, it was really great to have daddy with us : ). And I know she is young and all, but we definitly did not keep this Burkhart from her ice cream!
Bekah enjoyed both the ice cream and the animals!
Samantha sitting pretty:

Hunter playing,
Big Brother Barrett:

Hunter playing,
Mason chowing down:

And to pick up from where I left off with the weening, once Bekah got better, I dropped her morning nursing and she really rolled with it alot better than I thought she would! She chugged that morning sippy cup of milk and didn't even bat an eye! I couldn't believe it! Now, I do add a bit of liquid yogurt to for some more flavor ( thanks for the tip Robyn because before she really didn't like the taste of the milk) and soon I will sort of decrease that as well. This weekend I plan on dropping the evening nursing and if all goes well, Bekah will be a true wiener, whoo-hoo! Minus the sickness and teething, weening has gone well, it was only rocky for awhile there because she needed that extra comfort when she didn't feel well, hence why I delayed weening her.
And to pick up from where I left off with the weening, once Bekah got better, I dropped her morning nursing and she really rolled with it alot better than I thought she would! She chugged that morning sippy cup of milk and didn't even bat an eye! I couldn't believe it! Now, I do add a bit of liquid yogurt to for some more flavor ( thanks for the tip Robyn because before she really didn't like the taste of the milk) and soon I will sort of decrease that as well. This weekend I plan on dropping the evening nursing and if all goes well, Bekah will be a true wiener, whoo-hoo! Minus the sickness and teething, weening has gone well, it was only rocky for awhile there because she needed that extra comfort when she didn't feel well, hence why I delayed weening her.
These days, you can find her drinking her milk, as you see helow, like the best of them, it makes me SOOO happy to see how much she likes it and how I am not making her too sad by weening her. I have tried hard to give her some extra cuddle time, extra reading, hugging and kissing and I think she is getting that love from me in those ways, making for a smooth transition : ).
9 comments:
Wow, that's a hard post to beat! Very thorough! I love it! I am so proud of Miss Bekah. She is so smart with all the words she says and the things that she imitates. Not to mention, she is making the weening process go pretty smoothly for the two of you.
She's such a big girl! I love the pictures of her standing against her growth chart! I'm glad you guys had fun at the ice cream festival - probably the worst outing for me to miss! : )
Thanks for the shout out Jenny, I am so glad you like the growth chart. Way to go Miss Bekah- you are one smart cookie. Brinley needs to hang out with you again soon to learn all your new tricks! Love yall!
What a great post Jenny! You are doing such a great job as a mommy and should be so proud of yourself and the sweet, beautiful little girl you and Zack are raising! I loved spending the weekend with her in Austin and really feel like I understand who sweet little personality! I lover her so much (and just so you know, I have the CUTEST video of her walking up the stairs at the Oasis with "Grandpa" and pics of her & I hanging out). I know I've always said that I think Bekah looks like you with Zacks colors (eyes and hair) but those pictures of her in front of her beauiful growth chart show just how much she does look like Zack! Crazy how much she is a perfect mix of the two you! I love that so much! See you soon! Love you!
I love that growth chart. SO cute! And Jenny, Bekah is adorable. I think she struck a dancer's pose in one of those pictures (but maybe I'm biased because you told me about her "Can't Buy Me Love" move).
wow! so much to comment on! I LOVE the growth chart (of course, amy rocks!) :) and the poses in front of it are too precious! Alex would barely stand in front of his at 1 year. And I am just so impressed with all of Bekahs growth in so many ways!! miss her so much! :)
Way to go Bekah! So glad the yogurt trick worked for you! She's turning into such a big girl!
oh man, she looks so grown up standing in front of her chart! i'm glad you put up the close-up chart pic. i've seen that thing in person but didn't take time to look at the beautiful details. amy is so talented!
Post a Comment