Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Solid Food!

Okay, so before I start talking about Bekah's discovery of food, let me just point out the date of this post. Yes, that marks the day that I BEGAN attempting to download her 3 eating videos! Now, it would be all fine and dandy if you could now WATCH the three videos, I'm cool with it taking awhile, and for it to eventually work, but sadly, Bekah's mommy is a complete moron when it comes to downloading videos and I have nothing, nothing! Each and every day I would walk to the computer, wondering, will this be the day that it works? : ) That day has still yet to come, it's very sad . . . I am at a loss, I've done it before, don't know what the difference is this time!


But enough of that : ), here is the best I can do, I had already downloaded these pics and wrote captions, so I might as well share these, who knows, maybe I'll figure it out in the next few days, until then. . . .




The last 2 months have been all about food : ). It's been such a learning experience for me to read what the books say, hear what my friends do, but then apply it to her and see what she tells me! We have had quite the journey.
She used to sit in her bumbo chair to play and help mommy cook:




And then, on her 5 month birthday, we decided to give her some tasty rice cereal! She really wasn't a fan . . .





(Imaginary Video #1
And this is where you should be watching Bekah trying to eat rice cereal for the first time : ). )





Until some friends of hers suggested that she try some oatmeal, which she liked SO much better! Who could blame her? I always eat the rest if she doesn't finish, it's good stuff!



(teehee, i know what you are thinking, I use water, not breastmilk!)








Wow, oatmeal actually has flavor and doesn't taste like cardboard, thanks Mom!










(Imaginary Video #2



It's so cute , and she even grabs for the spoon to help me pull it to her mouth, she likes it so much! Oh well, maybe you will see it one day!)



She even got to be a big girl and sit in her high chair!











I think it actually made a difference in her eating, she was probably more comfortable and wasn't able to turn her head away and get distracted.












After she had oatmeal down, we decided to move on to the veggies and let me just say how HAPPY it made me to make baby food for the first time! I was giddy! I decided to go with sweet peas first, for my little sweet pea!














Now, giddy would NOT be the word to describe Bekah when she actually ate them for the first time! On her 6th month birthday weekend, which was her Aunt Sarah's birthday weekend as well, we decided to give her those peas I made her. I have NEVER seen Bekah more surprised/pissed/confused than the moment those sweet peas were shoved into her mouth! (what was i thinking putting so much in at first?? i was just so excited!) She started to gag and then she actually spit up her milk all over the place! It was a very dramatic moment, we didn't know if we needed to grab the video camera because of her outrageous reaction or pick her up and help her, she was so upset!









We tried peas some more, even Aunt Rani took part, but she just wasn't having it. Until one day, when I put her in her high chair, she started to cry! It was so sad, I want the high chair to be a happy place! So after 4 days of trying peas, I got the hint that it was time to move on, and after talking with lots of smart mommy friends, I decided to go with my gut, and choose a yummy fruit, to make sure this girl is a happy eater!





So, pears it was, and look, she loves them! Success!

(Imaginary Video #3 - Pears , would be right here : ( )


Next on the menu will be apples, and then sweet potatoes. Like I said, I am just going by what other friends say their babies like, and going for it. I am sure she will like her greens regardless of if I give them to her first : ). One more update is, she is learning how to use a sippy cup! I don't think she actually has had too much success with the drinking part, but we are getting there! About a month ago, she started grabbing for my water cup and I started to give her sips and she LOVES it! Now, whenever I am holding a cup of water ( which is all the time, since I am breastfeeding still), it's like she feels some entitlement to it and demands it every time! She loves water just like her mommy!

So now, Bekah nurses 5 times a day, about 31/2-4 hours apart. I give her 3-4 tbl of oatmeal in the morning and about 2-3 tbl of fruit in the afternoon and she is one happy and full baby! Besides the fact that she loves to eat now, and mommy loves to make the food and feed it to her, another "hidden perk" of this food eating business, no more diaper explosions! Solid food equals solid . . . . : ) Teehee, and I will leave you with that!

Well, that does if for the pics, maybe my battle with the video downloading monster will soon be won, until then, pictures will have to do!








































3 comments:

Roger and Robyn said...

Hooray! I'm so glad things are going better. You're doing a great job to just trust your instinct and not stress too much!

Sarah said...

jenny i love this post (even the fake videos, which made me laugh). i'm just thinking - i took 2 of those videos and got a little carried away if i remember correctly so maybe the files are just too big to upload. i mean, i'm pretty sure i taped that girl eating pears for a good 5 minutes. ha! i'll try to control myself with the video camera in the future :-)

Mary Pat said...

I just found this post! I guess it didn't show up on my blog, since like you said, it was started a while back to upload the videos! : )

I love the picture of her in the Bumbo with her mouth open and her feet sticking out!!